25 June 2009

Past three days, and a hard ascent

I've finally got a computer here in Rochester, VT!

So a few days back, I got to bike through some beautiful New Hampshire hills bordering a bunch of farms and waters and all kinds of neat stuff.




Wasn't near someone at the time, so had to take a MySpace style pic D:


Lunch time! The trailer was set up but abandoned, so I took a break to eat a few yards away.


There was a lake (river?) here, but no swimming...yet.



We arrived at our host church and they provided so much hospitality. They're so kind and very talented chefs as well. We ate things ranging from stuffed mushrooms to pasta to lasagna to rice.


Even hamburger shaped cookies. :D
~~~~


The next day, I was part of a group that volunteered to do some landscaping with Habitat. We spent time transplanting plants, clearing weeds, moving mulch, seeding the lawn...those kinds of things. We had some help with the clearing out part. The work was really tough and the sun beat down hard.

This is me taking pictures while everyone else is hard at work. On the right was the volunteer who helped us out. He was so knowledgeable and had some interesting stories to tell.



By the end of it we could really see how much progress we'd done.



Later that day, we went out to riverfront house. It was really high up and we had a great view of the river from the roof.


This jump seemed to take forever! I've never jumped from so high in my life. Today, we departed from Lebanon, heading into Vermont. We hit the border pretty quickly.


The whole ride was fascinatingly scenic. Mountains, rock formations, waters, farms, and pastures lined the ride, and it was just beautiful.

Behind me were acres and acres of pasture, with faded blue mountains in the distance.





This is a sign I always like to see!


We went up a mountain called Mount Bethel. It was breathtaking in its views and in the way that the ascent was averaging 7% for around 6 miles (or was it 3?) Either way, I was WORN OUT by the time I got to the top. I got video of me racing down the descent. That made it all worth it.

Today, we're staying at the home of a very kind family. I don't think I'll ever get used to the fact that people are so willing to invite all 30 of us into their homes and places of worship and even cooking food for us.

My butt hurts, I'm gonna go.

3 comments:

  1. You seriously win the BAMF award for today. Well done pedaling the WHOLE WAY, seriously. You are hardcore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Theo

    We love your pictures and your comments. I have found several riders that I will follow along with Nick. Cleveland was 90+ today with thunderstorms - we hope they are not coming your way. Way to jump! I could never do that. You'll have to ask Nick about a trip up a Miyan Pyramid. Love your final notes. Kathi Van Horn (Nick's Mom)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete